Merry Christmas, everyone! Madi here! (It’s not too early to start saying that, is it? Christmas is in 19 days, after all!) ?
Today I will be sharing another craft for the Christmas Craft Collab that Light4theLord and I are doing together!
I will show you all how to make…
DIY Doll Stockings… With a twist! These aren’t your ordinary stockings. On top of the classic, we’ll be making unique stockings that are unlike any others!
You will need:
- Sheets of red and white felt if you are making a classic stocking
- Different colors of felt for making it unique – felt with sparkles, patterns, anything you’d like! 😀
- Two paper plates (one for a stocking pattern and the other for catching spare glitter)
- Ribbon of any color you’d like (try different ones!)
- Hot glue gun (and an adult’s permission to use it)
- Pen or pencil
- Glitter for customization
- Regular glue for the glitter
- Stickers for customization
And of course, Christmas music. 😉
Be sure to get an adult’s permission to use the scissors, hot glue gun, and to make a nice big mess. 😉
Let’s get started! We’ll start off by making a classic stocking, but keep reading for customization ideas!
Having your hot glue gun heating up while you’re doing this step is a good idea. 😉
Start by drawing a stocking pattern on a paper plate (regular paper would work, too, but I prefer my patterns to be a little bit thicker). You can freehand it, like I did, or use measurements. I like to make my stockings just a little smaller than some do so it looks a little more doll-sized. 😉
Using your scissors, cut out the pattern (while cutting it out, I decided to give the bottom a little more depth ?).
Then place your pattern on a piece of red felt. Holding it in place with one hand, carefully cut it out with the other. It might be tricky at first, but you can trim any imperfections once it’s completely cut out. 😉 (I later remade the pattern to be slightly larger ?.)
Do the exact same thing with another piece of felt. 😀
Now we have two identical stocking pieces! Your hot glue gun should have heated up by now.
Now leave a trail of glue all around the edge of the entire stocking piece (but not at the top!). You’re going to want to go all the way around (just not at the top ?), but I stopped here so I could take a picture.
Now take your other stocking piece and place it directly on top of the other one before it dries.
Then take a little strip of white felt and glue it to towards the top like this. 😀
Take your ribbon and make a small loop, then glue the edges together.
Glue the loop to the inside corner of your stocking, and ta-da! You have one super cute, classic stocking for your doll to enjoy!
But what if you want something extra special?
Simple variations to try
- Instead of red felt, try a different color! Then use a different color of felt toward the top.
- Glop glue toward the top, spread it around to cover the amount of space you want, and pour glitter over it! (And of course, wait for it to dry and then shake off the excess glitter.)
These are all of the stockings I made! (Wait a second. I don’t have nine dolls. Why nine stockings? Maybe you should stay tuned and find out! 😉 )
I’ve tried lots of different colors of felts and glitters, as well as different colors of ribbon.
But I didn’t stop there!
Use stickers to add that final touch!
I have a slight obsession with stickers) Stickers! 😀 Try adding one (or more!) on the toe or toward the top right corner. Or anywhere! ?
I love how the stockings turned out! And my dolls love having their own personal stocking that is unique and beautiful!
Cécile helped me make this one for her. She adores it!
But I still love our little classic! 😉 😀
A few other variations to try…
- Making the stocking out of a completely different fabric altogether, like lace or fleece!
- You could also use a glitter glue pen to write your doll’s name on the stocking.
- Make a stocking based off of your doll’s personality; choose the colors of your doll’s favorite sports team and decorate with sporty stickers.
- … The possibilities are endless! 😀
But wait! There’s more!
What’s a stocking without stuffers? And where do you hang it but a fireplace? All of these tutorials are coming up soon! Plus, don’t miss out on the next part of the Christmas Craft Collab. Light4theLord will be posting sometime this week on her blog, Dolls N’ All, with another one of her most amazing crafts! Go on over and follow her blog so you won’t miss out!
Thank you all for reading! Cécile loved making her own special stocking and hopes all of you will, too! In fact, she has a special message for all of you…
A Special Message from Cécile
Hi, everybody! If you made this craft, we would absolutely love to see what you came up with! Send us your pictures to madison[at]powerofGOD[dot]com by December 23rd for a chance to be featured in the Christmas Craft Collab recap on Christmas Eve!